Oil And Gas Law
The United States Constitution grants the federal government general authority over the navigable waters of the United States. The body of laws governing shipping, navigation, pollution, and ownership of these waters is called admiralty and maritime law. This unique area of law is very complex. That is why if you have a legal problem involving admiralty and maritime law, you should speak to a knowledgeable maritime lawyer at Powell & Majestro P.L.L.C.
Legal issues, such as personal injury cases, can be particularly involved when they occur on the high seas or other navigable waters. A maritime attorney has specific expertise beyond a typical personal injury lawyer.
In some situations, an injured employee may be entitled under maritime law to recovery that he or she would not be entitled to receive under typical state workers compensation laws. Maritime laws, such as the Jones Act or the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, recognize the special circumstances faced by those who work on the water.
If you or a loved one suffers a maritime injury, a Jones Act attorney can help you receive the just compensation necessary for your financial security.
Complex Legal Issues
Ships, oceans, and waterways can be dangerous places to work or play. A skilled and experienced maritime lawyer can address the many complex legal issues that involve these oceans and waterways, including:
- Collisions involving commercial vessels, barges, or other type of watercraft
- Dock accidents
- Poorly designed or maintained cruise ships or other pleasure craft
- Negligence by staff or passengers on cruise ships
These cases are unique and require the special experience of a maritime injury lawyer. Trust your case to a highly qualified maritime attorney at Powell & Majestro P.L.L.C. We have the expertise you need to handle your case.
Recovering Just Compensation In Maritime Claims
The attorneys at Powell & Majestro P.L.L.C. are experienced maritime injury lawyers. We offer comprehensive legal representation for all manner of maritime injuries, including—
- Seaman injured at work
- Tourists injured or suffering property damage
- Operators of recreational vehicles
When you suffer injury on the waterways, it is imperative to hire an experienced maritime attorney who has an in-depth knowledge of admiralty laws and maritime cases. Call today: 800-650-2889.
Commercial Vessel Injuries
The Jones Act covers injuries sustained by workers on large vessels. Seamen can sue the owner of the commercial or fishing vessel for injuries that occur due to the owner’s negligence or the negligence of fellow employees. Under federal law, you are entitled to compensation for pain and suffering as well as lost wages and medical expenses. In most cases, state compensation laws do not allow recovery against an employer for pain and suffering.
The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act covers injuries to dock workers who are loading and unloading ships or involved in ship repair or construction. Recoveries under this law usually include lost wages and medical bills. The act also provides for occupational disease protection.
Powell & Majestro P.L.L.C. can advise you about what to do if you have a case under either of these laws. We represent clients who have suffered injuries on the following:
- Brown water boats are those that operate on relatively smaller bodies of water such as rivers, streams, and lakes. They are sometimes used to help guide larger commercial vessels including barges. They can be used for pleasure on these calmer bodies of water. Most of the boating accidents that Powell & Majestro P.L.L.C. handles are brown water boat cases.
- Blue water boats are those that are specially equipped to operate on the open sea and perhaps sail around the world. Fishermen traveling in large commercial haulers often sail in blue water boats. Our attorneys offer comprehensive legal representation to seaman injured on the high seas. We know the law of maintenance and cure, and can help you seek the recovery you justly deserve.
Call today: 800-650-2889.
Insured or uninsured, the costs of vehicle repair and personal recovery add up. Our attorneys pursue fair and just compensation for maritime injuries. We represent clients in recreational boat accidents involving:
- Collisions caused by boat operator intoxication
- Speeding accidents with another pleasure boat
- Accidents involving speedboats, parasails, jet-skis, and other type of watercraft
- Accidents with a barge or other large vessel that is sharing the waters
- Accidents that occur seaside, near the shore, or on boat docks
- Products liability litigation involving tangled sails, engine failure, or related design problems
If you are involved in this kind of claim, it is helpful to obtain a copy of the Coast Guard Report if one exists, as it may contain evidence in your favor. The attorneys at Powell & Majestro P.L.L.C. can help you obtain this report if you do not have it. It is also helpful to get the names of any eyewitnesses.
Injuries sustained as the result of a recreational boat accident are a type of personal injury case, and therefore handled on a contingency fee basis. You pay nothing upfront to pursue your claim and only pay attorney fees if you receive a cash settlement or verdict when your claim is resolved. Call today: 800-650-2889.
Passengers on a cruise line sometimes come home with unexpected injuries or missing property. The law offices of Powell & Majestro P.L.L.C. is familiar with maritime law and the obligations that a cruise line has toward its passengers. We offer comprehensive legal representation in all manner of personal injury cases. Hazards on a cruise line abound:
Our admiralty law attorneys know the law and get results. When you purchased your ticket, you may not have noticed the fine print on the back. You may have already agreed to binding arbitration instead of courtroom litigation. Our maritime injury attorneys can help you negotiate effectively with the cruise lines and their agents. Call our maritime law firm today: 800-650-2889.
Cutting Edge. Hardworking. Client-Focused.
What other firms see as problems, we see as challenges. We work hard to formulate unique legal strategies for your case. Call the Charleston, West Virginia, maritime law firm today, toll-free at 800-650-2889 or contact Powell & Majestro P.L.L.C. online to schedule an initial consultation.